When preparing to upgrade a Chef Infra Server from any version earlier than 14.x to 14.x, there are concerns that need to be addressed. Chief among these is a necessary reindexing phase which may be required, depending on the Chef Infra Server installation type. In testing at Chef, we've found that the reindex phase is able to reindex about 500 nodes / minute.
|Chef Infra Server||14.x||Standalone|
Preparation: Have a full, tested backup and a test instance on which to test the upgrade
1. If you are using chef-backend 3.x, that should not run the reindex as the system has always used Elasticsearch
2. If you are using an external elasticsearch, like that provided by AWS, you do not need to run the reindex but the code will attempt to run it nonetheless, so you should set the migration level using the following info. Set the file /var/opt/opscode/upgrades/migration-level contents to look like this to avoid running the reindex
3. If you are on a standalone chef-server, then the reindex will need to be run and it will run automatically.
- Perform the same upgrade process done earlier in testing
- If you see any issue, report through your normal support channel